turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

memeis72

Adult hard-soft cover books?

Donated 6 boxes of books to the library and want to know the deductible value.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

To value your books, use thrift stores or second-hand shops or internet retailers that sell used books

You will need to keep proper records. 

• If your donation is for less than $250, the library needs to give you a receipt showing the library's name, the date and location you donated books and a description of what you donated. Your records should always include a detailed description of what you donated, how much you paid for the books and a fair market value of the books. 
  • For donations worth more than $250, the receipt you get has to also include a description of any benefits you received in return for the donation and the value of those benefits because you have to reduce your donation deduction by that amount. If you donated more than $5,000 worth of books, you need an appraiser to verify the fair market value of the donation.

To enter your donations, click on How do I enter my charitable donations in TurboTax?

Related information: 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

To value your books, use thrift stores or second-hand shops or internet retailers that sell used books

You will need to keep proper records. 

• If your donation is for less than $250, the library needs to give you a receipt showing the library's name, the date and location you donated books and a description of what you donated. Your records should always include a detailed description of what you donated, how much you paid for the books and a fair market value of the books. 
  • For donations worth more than $250, the receipt you get has to also include a description of any benefits you received in return for the donation and the value of those benefits because you have to reduce your donation deduction by that amount. If you donated more than $5,000 worth of books, you need an appraiser to verify the fair market value of the donation.

To enter your donations, click on How do I enter my charitable donations in TurboTax?

Related information: 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies