Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Adding a Form 1098-E to taxes already filed and sent.

Hello, I have what I think should be a simple problem to solve. My father has a student loan that he took out in his name; I make the payments on it. According to the law, I see that he's eligible to take the deduction on it since it's in his name. He has already filed his taxes for the year. Is there a straightforward way to amend his return so that he would get the money for this deduction back from the IRS? It looks like it would be the 1040X form? But I'm not sure what portion of it needs filled out, what to write, etc. He doesn't want to be bothered with it, but I'm trying to do the legwork for him so he can just fill out a small bit of the paperwork and reap the benefit. Any help would be appreciated.
1 Reply
New Member

Adding a Form 1098-E to taxes already filed and sent.

Yes, you are correct Form 1040X will need to be filed with the IRS in order to add Form 1098-E.

  • You will need to follow the instructions for creating an amended return (provided below), then you will add Form 1098-E. 
  • Once this information has been entered, you will complete the review process and print and mail Form 1040X along with any additional schedules (TurboTax will print all of this for you)
  • You will mail these documents to the address listed in the instructions that print with the amended return. The IRS does not allow amended returns to be efiled. 

You will want to note on the return the reason for amending is that you added Form 1098-E that was not filed with the original return. TurboTax will ask for this during the amendment process. 

Please see these instructions for amending a return in TurboTax Online

Please see these instructions for adding Form 1098-E

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings