Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accidentally filed potential dependant, now my status is rejected. What's next?

Accidentally filed my son's taxes, now my status is rejected. The new forms only show the difference I have to pay. Did the original filing go through?  Can we recall his filing?  I am stuck.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You may start over in another TurboTax account.  However, if your tax return was rejected, you should be able enter your tax return and make any necessary changes.

What do you see down the left hand side of the screen?  Do you see Tax Home or Documents or 2022 Taxes?  Please clarify.

You may remove your son as a dependent and electronically file.  Or you may continue to report your son as a dependent and file by mail.

However, your son will have to amend his tax return to report Someone can claim him as a dependent or the mailed tax return will be be changed by the IRS.

@philmworks 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies

No you cannot recall your son's e-filed return.  Did it say he cannot be claimed?  And now you believe you can claim him?   You cannot overcome the duplicate use of his SSN, so the only way you can file and claim him now is by mailing your own return.    If your son's return is incorrect it can be amended after it has been fully processed.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

"potential dependent"

Does he fit the criteria to be a qualifying child or qualifying relative?

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2022 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,400 in 2022.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them. There may be other tax benefits you can get when you claim a dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I was just checking to see with how little he made and his paying for college if it made sense to file his return v keeping him on mine.  The result was keeping him on mine, but I accidentally filed his instead of mine.  Then I went and filed mine without removing his SSN and was rejected. 

So the rejected eFile is 100% rejected based on your answer, but I hadn't printed that out.  When I went back into TurboTax, the amount owed was only the additional $500, and now I don't have the original return to send. 

Can I just start from scratch without him on the return, or will the IRS expect an amended return?

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

If he has filed his tax return and claimed himself, you will have to mail your tax return in this year. 

If your son's return has already been processed, he can amend to check that box (that he can be claimed on another's tax return).  

If he meets the following criteria you were eligible to claim him, but he will have to amend his tax return.

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2022 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

He has lived with us most of the year and is under 21.  Was a full time student until May and never went back.  While here he has been looking for work, but was not hired anywhere.  His total income was under $250.. 

I guess the real question at this point is where in Turbo Tax can I retrieve the original I filed so I know what to pay?  Or can I just start from scratch and print/send that?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You may start over in another TurboTax account.  However, if your tax return was rejected, you should be able enter your tax return and make any necessary changes.

What do you see down the left hand side of the screen?  Do you see Tax Home or Documents or 2022 Taxes?  Please clarify.

You may remove your son as a dependent and electronically file.  Or you may continue to report your son as a dependent and file by mail.

However, your son will have to amend his tax return to report Someone can claim him as a dependent or the mailed tax return will be be changed by the IRS.

@philmworks 

TTax does not allow me to transmit and says I have to mail it in, but I don't have the original forms, only the adjusted forms after taking my son off as a dependent.  This is why I may just transmit a new one.

It also will not let me change his to "Can be claimed" since it was already successfully received, so that amended return won't work now anyway. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies