turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accidentally e-filed but meant to file an extension

I used TurboTax Desktop and needed to file an extension. I kept progressing on the software thinking it would e-file the extension, but I e-filed my return instead. I immediately went on IRS and Colorado Dept of Revenue website to pay my estimated tax due.

What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Right now, you have to wait until it is accepted or rejected.  If it is accepted and is wrong, you can at least say it filed on time, and by making payments on that amount, you have paid on time also.  If you need to amend and pay more, the IRS may charge interest on that payment, but, unless there is a substantial understatement of tax due, you should not face any penalties for any additional amounts.

If the return is rejected, you will be able to correct it and finish filing.  You have a grace period to do so.  You can count your payment made on line as an "extension payment" or an additional estimated payment.  Again, since this is in the grace period to fix a filed return, your return will be considered filed on time.  Unfortunately, you won't be able to extend it; to be considered timely, you will need to correct the errors timely and resubmit.  If you don't have complete information at this point, then you will have to amend it later.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Right now, you have to wait until it is accepted or rejected.  If it is accepted and is wrong, you can at least say it filed on time, and by making payments on that amount, you have paid on time also.  If you need to amend and pay more, the IRS may charge interest on that payment, but, unless there is a substantial understatement of tax due, you should not face any penalties for any additional amounts.

If the return is rejected, you will be able to correct it and finish filing.  You have a grace period to do so.  You can count your payment made on line as an "extension payment" or an additional estimated payment.  Again, since this is in the grace period to fix a filed return, your return will be considered filed on time.  Unfortunately, you won't be able to extend it; to be considered timely, you will need to correct the errors timely and resubmit.  If you don't have complete information at this point, then you will have to amend it later.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies