Venatic

Accidentally allowed myself to be claimed as a dependent. Will this prevent me from getting a stimulus check if my parents didn't file their 2019 tax return or if they did file, they didn't claim me?

As the title states, I accidentally allowed myself to be claimed as a dependent this year. My parents claimed me in the 2018 tax year as a dependent, but they haven't filed their taxes yet this year. My filing status was single this year as well. If they don't/didn't claim me for the 2019 tax year, should there be any problems getting my stimulus check going forward?

AlanT222

If you indicated on your income tax return that you could be claimed by another person, you will not qualify for a stimulus payment.  

Venatic

What do i do to fix this? File a 1040x and amend it to not a dependent?

Venatic

There is no way that a misclick on turbotax should irreversibly cause me to lose out on $1200. Please, help me figure out where to go from here. I really need that money as i am laid off due to the pandemic and I support myself.

GiseleD

If your parents were eligible to claim you but didn't claim you, you are still required to check the box on your return that indicates that you were eligible to be claimed on someone else's return. Below are the criteria to be claimed as a dependent:

There are two types of dependents, each subject to different rules:

• A qualifying child
  • A qualifying relative

For both types of dependents, you’ll need to answer the following questions to determine if you can claim them.

Dependent taxpayer test: The taxpayer, or spouse of the taxpayer if filing jointly, cannot be eligible to be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.

Married Filing Jointly test: If you file a joint return with your spouse, you cannot be treated as a dependent. (This rule does not apply if the joint return was filed only as a claim for refund and no tax liability would exist for either spouse if they had filed separate returns).

Citizen or resident test: The person claimed as a dependent must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. resident alien, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. An adopted child that lived with the taxpayer all year passes this test if the taxpayer is a U.S. citizen or U.S. national.

Qualifying Child

In addition to the above, you must be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions to claim an exemption for your child.

Relationship test: The child must be the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, half sister, or a descendant of any of these, such as the taxpayer’s grandchild, niece, or nephew.

Residency test: The child must have lived with the taxpayer for more than half of 2019.

• Temporary absences (e.g., school, vacation, business, medical care, military services, or detention in a juvenile facility) are considered as time living with the taxpayer.
  • Exceptions apply under the rules for children of divorced or separated parents. See IRS Publication 501 for details.

Age test: The child must be

• Under age 19 at the end of the tax year and younger than the taxpayer (or spouse), or

• Under age 24 at the end of 2019, a full-time student for any part of five calendar months during the tax year, and younger than the taxpayer (or spouse), or

Permanently and totally disabled at any age

Support Test: The child cannot have provided more than 1/2 of his/her own support during the tax year. Welfare, TANF, and scholarships received by the child are not considered support.

Qualifying Relative

Relationship or Member of Household Test: To be considered a qualifying relative, a person must be:

• A son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, or a descendant of any of these
  • A brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of these
  • A father, mother, or an ancestor or sibling of them (does not include foster parents)
  • A stepbrother, stepsister, stepfather, stepmother, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, or
  • Any other person (other than the spouse) who lived with the taxpayer all year as a member of the taxpayer's household as long at the relationship did not violate local law. Exceptions: Temporary absences for special circumstances such as school, vacation, business, medical care, military service, or incarceration count as time lived in the home. Also, the taxpayer's mother or father does not have to live with the taxpayer as long as the taxpayer is able to claim the parent as a dependent and paid more than half the cost of keeping up the parent's main home (including nursing homes) for the entire year. 

Not a Qualifying Child Test: The relative cannot be a qualifying child of any other taxpayer for the year.

Gross Income Test: The relative's gross income must be less than $4200 for the year. Gross income is all income that is not tax-exempt. Examples of gross income include taxable Social Security benefits, taxable unemployment compensation, and certain scholarships and fellowships (i.e., monies used to pay higher education expenses other than tuition, fees, supplies, books, and course-required equipment).

Support Test: The taxpayer must have provided over 1/2 of the relative's support during the year. This test does not apply to persons who qualify as dependents under the children of divorced or separated parents rule and multiple support agreements.

Considering the above criteria, if you don't qualify to be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, then you will want to amend it. 

@Venatic

Venatic

Yes, I am not eligible to be claimed as a dependent based on that criteria. They do not support me.

This whole process would be a lot easier if I could actually get in contact with somebody from the IRS but the call center is closed for the foreseeable future. I really do appreciate the help from you, thank you so much.

So, based on what you've said, I file a 1040X with the IRS and amend it so i am no longer eligible to be claimed as a dependent and send it back into them, is this correct?

DMarkM1

Yes, you would need to file a 1040X explaining that you cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  You would also send in a corrected form 1040 with the box unchecked. 

Peachy

Any updates on the situation?

I made this same mistake. I just submitted mine hours ago, and friends are already receiving relief payments

Josephhelmy

Same here I’m thinking of waiting till the check my status come out my friend got his tonight all the criteria shows on my return I make too much and am 19 and work full time so I’m thinking because my dad filed his taxes and didn’t claim me there’s a small chance they caught it and if not I’m going to amend if I feel like there’s going to be a simpler way to roll out.

DMarkM1

You are correct.  As of now, the two options are:  1.  File an amendment indicating you cannot be claimed as a dependent to get payment this year or 2. Wait and file your 2020 return indicating you cannot be claimed as a dependent and get your stimulus payment as part of your refund then.  

Madry14

I am in the same boat. It seems unfair that we would miss out on the $1200. I put I would be claimed but my parents never claimed me. Please keep updated on how this situation was resolved. 

DMarkM1

You will not miss out if you act.  As of now, the two options are: 

1.  File an amendment indicating you cannot be claimed as a dependent to get payment this year. 

2. Wait and file your 2020 return indicating you cannot be claimed as a dependent and get your stimulus payment as part of your refund then.  

cmarlow89

Would it affect the person who claimed you as a dependent if you amended it and said you could not be filed as a dependent?

humbertpumpert

Yeah on my 2019 I answered yes to “ can someone claim you as a dependent “ , but I was not claimed by anyone on their taxes . It says amended returns must be printed/mailed ( also says can take 12-16 weeks to be accepted ) . I don’t have access to a printer . So i hope it works out . It would suck if i just lost access to ANY stimulus money because of this . 

Kimoradora99

I agree. The other choices were about being an illegal alien or if I have children to claim. If I miss out on the stimulus check from something that wasn't my technical error, I don't know how im gonna make it through the pandemic.