1ericamcg

A new 1040 printed along with my 1040x. Do i mail both or just the 1040x? I am seeing different responses. Some say yes and some say no.

MinhT

No, you don't have to include the original return. 

According to the IRS:

"When filing an amended or corrected return:

• Include copies of any forms and/or schedules that you're changing or didn't include with your original return. To avoid delays, file Form 1040X only after you've filed your original return. Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years after the date you timely filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
  • Allow the IRS up to 16 weeks to process the amended return."

MinhT

According to the IRS:

1ericamcg

It wasnt the original return that printed after the 1040x. It was a revised 1040. With the new numbers where they should have been on the original. So do i include the new 1040 that printed with the 1040x? Or because it is a "1040" does that make it an "original"?
MinhT

No, you do not send the revised 1040. Just send the 1040X.