Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A couple of TurboTax functional questions

Hi, first timer here. Hope someone can help me with a couple of TurboTax functional questions:

1. I e-filed the 2022 tax, paid the amount I owed to fed. tax. Later it was rejected. I corrected the mistake and it turned out I got a refund. The question is what happens to the tax I have already paid via my credit card? The payment I made still shows pending on my credit card account, btw.
  2. The 2nd question is after I e-filed my taxes, is there a way in TurboTax to help me to figure out my 2023 estimated state tax payments?

Thank in advance for helping.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

1.  I e-filed the 2022 tax, paid the amount I owed to fed. tax. Later it was rejected. I corrected the mistake and it turned out I got a refund. The question is what happens to the tax I have already paid via my credit card? The payment I made still shows pending on my credit card account, btw.   Unlike a direct debit from a checking account  the CC payment is not reliant on the IRS acceptance of the return.  You contracted with the third party to pay your tax bill directly to the IRS even if the return was rejected.  Contact the third party you used to stop the payment if possible or  dispute the charge with your CC company. 

2.  The 2nd question is after I e-filed my taxes, is there a way in TurboTax to help me to figure out my 2023 estimated state tax payments?  Yes you can ... 

• At the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for tax year 2022, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one; that's just to get the return to open back up.)
  • Once the return is open, click in the left menu column on Federal.
  • Then at the top choose tab "Other Tax Situations".
  • It may ask you if have 3-4 uncommon situations.  If so, answer those.
  • Once you get past those, you may then see a screen "Your uncommon Tax Situations"
  • Scroll way down to the last category "Other Tax Forms" and click "Show More."
  • Find topic "Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes" and click Start or Update.
  • It will first ask you if you want to change your W-4 withholdings.  If you need to do that, click "Yes" to go through the W-4 interview.
  • If you don't need the W-4 (withholding) interview, you can click "No" and go to the 2022 estimated taxes interview.
  • You may get a screen that says "Review your Estimates for 2023?" and asks "Do you want to review your income or deductions".  Say YES (or Review Now), so you can get to the additional questions.
  • You will go through a lot of screens asking about expected income and deductions.
  • Finally, you will come to a screen that says "Enter Payments You Expect to Make."
  • There are some boxes there that say "Enter estimated tax payments you've already made for 2023."
  • Next screen will ask "which method" to use to calculate your 2023 estimated payments.
  • Next screen will ask if you want to print vouchers.
  • If you want to pay them electronically instead of mailing the vouchers and checks, we can tell you how to use IRS Direct Pay or the Treasury's EFTPS website.

Form 2210 requires evenly spread Estimated tax + withholding installments.

And you need to pre- pay at .least 90% of your tax

after doing the Turbotax estimate, 

make  sure each quarter is at least 25% of 90% of your tax.

April 18th is the deadline for the first 2023 estimated tax installment.

if you need to pay and did not, you are already late on the first payment.

@WillyT38 

Thank you so much for your help. I called my cc and was told that the charge has already submitted to IRS and I have to wait till IRS approves it then dispute the charge. I don't want to take this route. I don't want to piss-off IRS in any way. Or, IRS might reject the charge, crossing my fingers. Or, IRS might find it in their heart to send me my tax refund + the charge I sent mistakenly, lol. The follow up question is:

If IRS accepts the charge by mistake and only send me my tax refund amount later, can I apply the charge by mistake to my 1st estimated tax when I file my 2023 tax? 

Again, thanks in advance for your help. 

Got it. Thank you very much.

I think I will just continue to pay my 2023 state estimated taxes the same amount I did for 2022 since I got a little refund from 2022. It should easily cover 90%.

Yes, I'm already late to pay the 1st estimated tax for 2023. I just looked and my state says I can pay the 2nd installment twice. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies