Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my 2023 Taxes with Turbo Tax.   I was a part year resident in NY and Mo.  Moved to MO in Oct and earned no income there.  All income was earned in NY,  I did have SS and NYS retirement which I received in MO.  Question is why didn't Turbo Tax use form MO-CR or MO-NRI.  According to Turbo Tax I owe MO $1059 and talking to people here say I should owe nothing. Help!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

So most of your money was earned in NY. You filed NY with NY income and then MO would have a credit for the income that was taxed by both NY and MO. It sounds like MO would not be much income to be taxed.

Make sure you filed MO for only the time you lived there with only the income received while in MO.  You had to prorate social security for each state. Also, check that you are showing a credit for tax paid to NY on the NY retirement money during that time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@LeroyP 

Yeah, MO is one of a couple states that does part-year residents strangely. (SC too...might be a couple others)

MO gives you the option of filing :

1) As a Full-Yr MO Resident, where they assess a tax on everything for the full year, but then allow a credit for the taxes you paid to NY  on the NY part-year tax return.

OR

2) File as a Full year MO Non-Resident, where you only indicate the income you received after you moved to MO  (i.e the last 3 Mos of SS, and pension $$, PLUS 3 mos of interest, dividends, end-of-year mutual fund distributions).

I personally, Don't know exactly where the tax software gives you the choice to select which way you want to go, but I suspect it would be around the start of the MO Q&A. 

Do NY part-year first.....especially if you choose option #1, NY would have to be completed first.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies