Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 delux PA return resulted in Penalties And got penalties Full balance not paid You owe unpaid tax, interest, and penalty. $ 64.21 Failed to pay 2023 quarterly tax. ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

2023 delux PA return resulted in Penalties And got penalties Full balance not paid You owe unpaid tax, interest, and penalty. $ 64.21 Failed to pay 2023 quarterly tax. ?

@clautomated 

If your state final Balance Due is over some pre-set amount  (My state, NC, is $500), then you may be subject to a penalty for not pre-paying some of those $$ using quarterly estimates.  Occasionally the pre-payment penalty can be mitigated  (or eliminated) by preparing some kind of special state annualized-income schedules, but that takes a lot of detailed preparation on your part, and I don't know how PA deals with it.  (The software usually has an Underpayment Penalty menu item in the appropriate State section for you to attempt that before you e-file...but if you've already completed, e-filed, and had your PA tax return accepted, then you'd have to go thru the amend process in the PA section to attempt it later)

BUT

If that is a paper-mailed letter you received from the PA Dept of Revenue, then it sounds like you haven't actually paid your final PA balance due yet.   Do you have a billing record in your bank or credit card statements that show you actually paid?  IF not, send them a check, or pay on their PA Dept of Revenue website (I haven't navigated their website to see what's needed to pay online, but make sure you indicate it's a 2023 tax payment).

Note that TTX does not take your payment and pay PA,  The software may let you enter info that TTX sends to PA, and then PA is responsible for the debit (if that's what you chose).   A bank statement showing a Payment to Intuit or TurboTax is NOT a payment to PA.....and Intuit or TurboTax billing would only be for TTX software fees.

Also note that a federal refund cannot be auto-directed to pay a state balance due.  Those are completely separate processes.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies