Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stacy0879
Returning Member

2021 wage info missing from employer

I e-filed my return on 1/27/2022 and the IRS accepted it the following day.  By the end of Feb, the WMR tool moved from "Accepted" straight to the delayed processing msg, so I contacted the IRS and waited on hold for 4 HOURS to speak to someone... Who informed me that (a) I was going to receive form CP05 dated 3/14, and (b) my return didn't have any issues, but the IRS had no wage information from my employer.  I contacted my employer, who immediately put me in touch with the accountant (I work for a small business with less than 50 employees and actually speak to the accountant every week when she comes in to pick up invoices). She explained her procedure for submitting W2s, which hasn't changed in the 5 yrs she's been our accountant, and was 100% positive that mine wasn't overlooked.  I called the IRS back the 3rd week in March.  I was informed of ANOTHER notice that was scheduled to send on 3/31, because they still hadn't received my W2. Again, I speak to the accountant.  She misunderstood when I explained my previous IRS call and resubmitted my W2 at that time... Which the IRS claims they also haven't received. I then contacted the Tax Advocate Office who not-so-politely told me that they are not accepting any new cases for assistance even though the IRS website is still directing people to them.  The rep told me to contact my local IRS office and speak to someone, although that was a fruitless call much like the majority of my calls to the main IRS number.  Both IRS notices say to allow 60 days btw.  It is now 4/29/2022 and I spend hours on hold with the IRS yet again.  The rep tells me that updated guidance from the IRS gods states that tax payers need to wait 120 DAYS from date of notice before inquiring about their return.  She didn't seem to care that my notice says 60 days. They apparently still don't have my W2 from my employer, and drilled in the fact that I should not submit anything unless asked.  As an added bonus, she explains there's no notation in my file to say if any notice was sent to my employer (which I'm sure it hasn't, since the accountant asks me every week "We haven't received anything.  Did you get any updates?"). How are they expecting to receive wage verification from my employer if they don't ask for it, but my employer can't send it until the IRS requests it?  I've also contacted the SSA, since I know that wage info goes to them first and THEY transmit it to the IRS... But they also don't have any 2021 wage info on file, nor does my transcript, and per the rep at the SSA, they're in a "backlog period" currently. I wouldn't even be stressed about it if the pre-paid card from TT wouldn't have had issues... I'd already have my refund and the IRS could take their sweet old time doing their job because I wouldn't care.  I'm just at my wit's end with what to do or where to turn for assistance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

There is nothing you can do but wait for this to be completed ...  the W-2 info is sent to the SS administration and then it is forwarded to the IRS  so somewhere in the SS system your W-2 got "lost".   If your fellow employees have not had an issue then yours is an isolated incident.  I am surprised that the IRS did not request you to mail in a copy of the W-2 form yet.   Sadly the IRS is understaffed so this will probably take a long time to resolve itself.  

Stacy0879
Returning Member

Lol I actually OFFERED to send a copy of the W2s each time I spoke with someone.  They just said that it had to be submitted by the employer to make sure it was authentic.  Oh, but also not to have them resend it unless it was requested.  This is just so frustrating.  Uncle Sam has his hand on my paycheck before I even see it, but yet we're all expected to jump through hoops and "just be patient, ma'am" when it comes to the money we're owed smh. 

It's also possible that the IRS never received the actual withholdings from your paycheck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies