Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tonytemp38
Returning Member

2020 Tax Amendment and Refunds

I filed a tax amendment for 2020 and based on a tax professional I should expect a refund. Through the IRS tool it shows that my amendment has been completed as of August 6, 2021. I have yet to receive any notices regarding my tax amendment, I did receive a refund much less than I expected on July 26. Is this refund from any tax laws that has been passed recently? 

Since my tax amendment has been completed when will I receive the refund and notice?  Shouldn’t it have been when my tax amendment have been adjusted?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Did you amend before you got the first original refund?  You should have waited.  The IRS will mail you a letter saying what they changed on the original return.

How much is missing from the original refund?  A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery rebate credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the Stimulus payment or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts or entered the wrong amounts in the 2 boxes.  If you entered the total you got for both rounds in the same box it would think you didn't get the other one.  The IRS knows how much they already sent you.  You might have tried to claim it again on line 30.

tonytemp38
Returning Member

I amended after my original filing which I paid taxes on. My tax professional said I should do a tax amendment to claim recovery rebate credits and tuition credits as I am no longer being claimed. I did however put in my original 1040 that I can be claimed and fixed that in my tax amendment (No one claimed me for 2020.)

The difference between the expected refund and the refund I got on July 26 is around $2800.

Did you have any unemployment on the original return?  If you filed early the IRS may have sent you an adjusted refund for the 10,200 unemployment exclusion.  

If the IRS changed your original tax due into a refund or changed your amended return they will mail you a letter explaining it.

Or this July 26 refund could be the 3rd Stimulus payment.  It's $1,400 per person.

tonytemp38
Returning Member

I did receive unemployment so it

must be that. 

I did not receive any stimulus payment at all.

Thank you for replying, I’ll be on the lookout for IRS mail regarding my tax amendment. Hopefully, I do get that refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies