Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JKVDGLCSW
Returning Member

2019 Federal Return Rejected due to Spouse AGI

I've filed married jointly for last two years, last year through my tax accountant, this year through Turbo Tax.  Both years, my spouse's IRS transcript says my spouse did not file.  How do I fix this?

My wife died on 3-26-2019. Filed turbotax married filing jointly as per turbo. Everything looked right-me as a widower & my wife's date of passing. Came back rejected-Donna's AGI for 2018 missing. AGI was correct but of course there is no ss# for her. Mailed returns on Mar 6th, talked to person in tax dept in the Lincoln office in Ne. on May 4th. How ironic, this person I talked to had the same problem with her mother's return. She was going to talk to her superiors & call me back. On May 8th I got a letter from State of Ne saying they ammended my return with a higher refund amount???. I called them back & told them the ammendment they made left out the donation I made to the Ne Wildlife fund. No explanation so I just accepted it & it was in my checking acct the next day.  Still haven't heard anything about my federal return.  This has become a quest!

eplewehe

Have you gotten any response from IRS on your 2019 Tax Return?

Because like everyone else I was not able to find a way to e-file using TurboTax, I filed Federal and State returns on paper, by mail. Yes, it was a nuisance. I know that both returns arrived, because I owed money and my checks were cashed. No other confirmation, just like the old days. It's astonishing to me that this problem has not been resolved.

We got this same rejection when we tried to file our 2019 extended joint return in July. I am the spouse, and I’m very much alive, and getting the same error codes for prior year AGI or prior year spouse pin. Both pieces of data were saved in TurboTax from last year and have been double and triple checked.  I have just tried resubmitting but since nothing was changed with regard to either of these pieces of information it will probably get rejected again. I just wanted to post this here so people would know it’s not just an error when there’s a deceased spouse. 

Hard to believe that here we are in February of 2021 and this problem with TT still has not been resolved.

Please let me know why my return has been rejected? 2019 Federal Return Rejected due to Spouse AGI?

This is a bug in TurboTax. They will tell you that you need to find a paper copy, but this is incorrect. I used FreeTaxUSA and my return was accepted in minutes. 
I don't work for FreeTaxUSA, I'm just a regular person whose TT return was rejected and who refused to file a paper copy!

I would do the same but it's a lot of info to reenter from the Home & Business software. ☹️ And we should not have to do that. The product we purchased should be functional.

arial3333

Turbo tax is asking for my husbands AGI then on the next page ask for mine? This is what's (I believe) is rejecting our taxes? Their was an error with the first one. I fixed the retirement error. However, the IRS still is rejecting our 2020 taxes. I have been buying Turbo tax for years and have never had this problem. I know the AGI is correct as it was brought fwd, from 2019. Per Turbo tax. I even doubled checked-per my file copy.

On Friday and Saturday day's it has been rejected (5) times!

Please reply

arial3333

I did not file late. Turbo tax entered my 2019 AGI onto my 2020 tax return?

I feel this may be a Turbo tax error. We never received our $600. per each. The only way we can receive the money is to file our return. we ow $398. Turbo tax is taking the 398. from the $1,200. 

Please reply

Yes the Recovery Rebate Credit (for the Stimulus) on line 30 either adds to your refund or reduces a tax due.  Would you want to get a check for the 1,200 and then have to send a check back to pay the  $398 tax due?  

Hi arial3333.

Suggest you go to the IRS web site and get your account / transaction report for last year. See what it says for your AGI. Of nothing is there, them enter 0 on TT. For some reason, IRS said I did not file my taxes, but I did in July. One of the reports even showed the amount I owed. If your AGI does not have a value, then enter '0'. When I did this, my return was accepted.

Good luck.

Should have checked my message before posting. I should have stated that even though the report said I did not file, the Transaction report showed the amount of money I owed and did send in. So, there is some sort of issue at IRS. May have been due to the fact that they extended the date we could file last year, and I filed as late as I could without penalty. Their system did not capture that.

I am having the same issue with entering my AGI exactly as the IRS has it and it is still getting rejected.  My spouse is not deceased; however, but this is ridiculous.  If I find that I have to take my taxes to a different firm, I'm going to be very upset.  TT, do better than this, there's no reason for this rejection of my taxes.  Oh, and for those who don't know, if you have to mail your return, good luck getting your refund back any time soon.  Anything that is mailed will take at least 6 weeks longer than normal.  Thanks, TurboTax.  You have NOT been helpful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies