Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2019 Amending a Return - Refund did not drop to Zero

critter3-

Yes, you are right, I AM IN BIG TROUBLE.

And while I agree that TurboTax doesn't "backfill" Column A & B, as impossible as it seems, there is no other reasonable explanation.  I don't know what is going on, but Columns A & B do correctly add up to the value in Column C, which are the same values on my 2019 Return - and again, it would be impossible to have the sum of 2 "random" numbers come up with the correct numbers in Column C - so something else is going on here.  And yes, I have no doubt it is something peculiar with my 2019 Return.

Let me also mention that there are only 3 bogus (no actually 4) numbers on the 1040-X, ok, maybe 5.

1)  The numbers in Colum A on Lines 1, 2, & 6 are totally bogus (Source unknown)

2)  The numbers in Lines 7 & 13 are actually correct (all 3 columns)

3)  The other numbers in Lines 1 through 15, are either Zeros or are calculations that are correct

4)  The number in Line 16 is totally bogus (from a non-existent Smart Worksheet)

5)  And there is a problem with the Zero on Line 18

OK, as mentioned in an earlier post, if I over-ride the bogus $6,822 number on Line 16 of the 1040-X, Line 21 of the 1040-X goes to $6,670 and my Tax Refund at the top of the TurboTax screen also goes to $6,670 (my original 2019 Tax Refund).

And, I just discovered (yes, up late last night), by examining my 2018 Amended Return, that Line 18 should contain the 2019 overpayment amount, which is the $6,670 value - it doesn't, it has a Zero.  So if I override the Zero there with $6,670, everything works - Line 21 goes to Zero AND the TurboTax Tax Refund at the top of the screen goes to Zero, which is the proper value to begin an Amended Return.

OK, 3 more changes and I am good to go, maybe.  I changed the value in Column A of Lines 1, 2, & 6 to match the good values in Column C.  Turbotax recalculates the Column B values to Zero (good to see all of the calculation actions working correctly) - and I think I now have a perfect Form 1040-X.

Let me also mention here that the 2 entries on Line 16 & 18 "came from non-existent (as far as I can tell) Smart Worksheets" (i.e. a Search can not find them - they only exist as little inserts "in" the 1040-X Forms view).  The Smart Worksheet inserts have the $6,822 that is used in Line 16 (should be zero) and the 2nd Smart Worksheet insert has nothing shown for a 2019 overpayment, and this should be $6,670.

Now here is the funny climax.  2019 was a bad investment year for me and I ended up with losses, but only a negative $3,000 can be used (flowing to the 1040).  ALL of my Amendment changes are changes to the Basis of 9 stocks, which will only increase my 2019 stock losses.  SO,  it is noted that none of my Amended changes will even show up on the 1040-X  (the negative $3,000 is buried in Line 1, and will not change) and thus my Amended Return will have no affect on my original Refund.  The Net of this whole Amendment process will be to increase the Capital Losses which can be carried over to my 2020 Return - and yes, I expect a small hassle with the IRS when I file my 2020 Return using these newer carryover losses.

So after all of this, I still would like some help in getting the 1040-X to look correct - and I only need to verify what Columns A, B & C for Lines 1-15 look like.  At the beginning, should Column A and Column C be the same with Column B being Zero.  I don't have a good starting 1040-X to verify this - and I don't want to send a 1040-X to the IRS (for my Amended Return offering) that does not look correct.  I am pretty sure that I have Line 16-22 under control - and since there will be no changes to the 1040-X, I just need to have a correct looking, starting layout.

To the IRS, for the Amendment, besides the 1040-X,  I only need to send the changed pages - which is a new 1040 with just the Schedule D and 8949s - PLUS I will send them new Capital Loss carryover sheets (hope they look at and enter them).

OK, thanks everyone for the interest and the help with this.  Although we still don't know the source of all of the bogus entries on the initial 1040-X (sorry, but am totally convinced that is a TurboTax error, but probably caused by something funny in my 2019 Return) - but since my particular changes will not flow to the 1040-X, I am content with successfully proceeding from here - so at this point, I mainly need a correct-looking 1040-X.

Thanks all, not you-all any more.

ron, now in kansas

Hi thanks you for posting this. I have the same problem. I wish I knew to save the original in a different location which I didn’t so my original was overridden. When I first created the “amended tax”, I noticed the return indicator shows -$443 under Fed and $0 under State. I didn’t pay attention till I made the change. Then when I reviewed Column A, those numbers are NOT matching my original return. And I have this $443 showing under Line 18 (which Line 18 is supposed be a refund received from IRS but I don’t have refund in 2021. I had to pay $2000 tax). I don’t understand why Column A is not showing what it should be original and where this $443 coming from. Should I just manually correct Column A info by going to FORMS, and zero out Line 18? Thanks, 

Bestvalue888-

Gee, I am sorry that I can't help you - but that post/problem was several years back and I just don't remember the details now.

I reread the post and still don't remember the details - and I would hesitate to make recommendations to you.  However, I would go with what you thought was right and correct - and if overriding something that you are pretty sure doesn't make sense, that is probably the way I would go.

I Amended 3 returns - 2 of them came out fine, but a refund on the oldest of a little over $1K was never resolved - and good luck getting anyone to answer the phone and talk to you about it, if that should happen.

It is funny that the one with a modified carry-forward valuation (although accurate) was the one I thought they would question - but it went through fine whereas the first one that was the most straight forward was the one that they had the questions on (and never refunded my money on).

Hate to be a downer, but that was my experience.

And good luck to you.

ron in shawnee

Thanks so much for responding. My first time doing this and very confused.:( I could not figure where their numbers were pulling from because they do NOT match my original return I have copies of. I guess I will just manually enter my original return info to make 1040X looks right. Thanks for your help, 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

When you prepare an amendment using TurboTax, your refund ticker restarts at zero.  This is because the amended form accounts for your original refund or balance due.

If you have a refund after preparing an amendment, this refund is in addition to your original refund.

If you have a balance owed after preparing an amendment, this means your original refund was too high (or your balance owed was too low) and this amount needs to be paid back to the IRS.

If you made a change before starting the amendment process, you need to re-set your account to match your original return by changing the new item back (or removing it).  Then start the amendment process and your refund ticker will start over.

You should wait to file your amendment until you receive your original refund to confirm the IRS does not change the figure. 

"AnnaB New Member"

If your return has been accepted, then you will need to wait until you have received your refund, if applicable, and then amend that return to make changes, if needed. Amended returns have to be printed and mailed in and take up to 16 weeks to be processed.  
If accepted, wait until you have received your refund or taxes due paid, then you can follow the instructions below on how to amend your tax return.  

@Bestvalue888 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
deraiford

I was on this thread a couple years ago when amending my return with 1040X.  I never figured out what Turbotax was doing and where it got its info.  It was very buggy.  I recall my workaround was:

1. VITALLY IMPORTANT -- have a backup of your "as-filed" turbotax file placed in a separate folder because when you start going through the steps to amend a return in Turbotax, it starts to change the "as-filed" data file and you could lose that data/moment in time.

2. Make your amending inputs into the "as-filed" data file (ie, adding a Form 1099, changing deductions, whatever) and when completed produce the resulting corrected Form 1040.

3.  Manually prepare a Form 1040X (through Turbotax but easier to just use the IRS.gov file) by typing/inputting the lines for the "as-filed" and the corrected 1040.  If you use the 1040X form in Turbotax, ignore the figures it populates and overwrite with your own.

4. File the 1040X along with the corrected Form 1040 (if so required to accompany the Form 1040X).

That was the only way I solved the TurboTax bug problem!  Good luck!

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for the information.

@deraiford

That is so helpful!! Thank you so much! I didn’t do #1 so big mistake as I cannot get my original back.😿. Then 1040X Column A isn’t pulling correctly (not sure what those number coming from). So i manually go to the FORMS and fixed them. 

but I still don’t know if I did the LINE 18 correctly as I manually changed it to 0. It has a $400 there after I entered everything but I didn’t have any refund in my original return ( I had to pay a check of $8000 for tax owe).  So Live 18 should have been 0. Correct?

Also, does anyone know about this question I have?   
when I started working on 2022 return last month, I had pulled the old return date 2021. So now that I have a new amended tax for 2021, how do I update the 2021 data in the existing 2022 return so the comparison will be correct? Or do I have to recreate a new 2022 return from scratch in Turbo Tax?

deraiford

I believe the answer to that question is:  "from scratch".  But if the revised data doesn't change carryover information (capital losses, partnership items, business depreciation, etc. etc,) then it probably doesn't matter that the "last year" column in the current year's turbotax file is a bit off.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Please clarify your questions if the responses provided do not address your questions.

Question 1

So Live 18 should have been 0. Correct? Your amended form 1040X column A should match the original return filed. So yes, you should show zero if there was no overpayment on the filed return.

Question 2

how do I update the 2021 data in the existing 2022 return so the comparison will be correct? This question is not clear.  What are you comparing?  If you are referring to taxable income between the 2 years, then you would need to make sure 2021 taxable income ties to Form 1040X.

Question 3

Or do I have to recreate a new 2022 return from scratch in Turbo Tax? You can start a new 2022 return, however,  your pertinent carryover information such as net operating loss, capital losses, and your personal information will need to be re-entered. 

@Bestvalue888 

Oh my update is 1099-B that I forgot to file a capital gains of $3000.  So do you think by adding this $3000 for capital gain affect all the forms you talk about? Thanks so much!!

Btw I never have capital loss carryover from prior years. 

Thanks for explaining. Question 2: I am trying to just have the correct 2021 data to compare to 2022 data at the end of the day since I had made an income change in the amended tax return. So I try to see if the updated 2021 data can be updated in the existing 2022 file. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies