Skip to main content
Level 2
April 2, 2021
Question

2019 Amended Tax Return

  • April 2, 2021
  • 7 replies
  • 53 views

I amended my 2019 tax return but I have not filed yet.  When I printed it, 1040X and another 1040-SR printed.  The 1040X shows I have a refund amount but my 1040 SR shows I have amount owe.  What do I do? Should I send a payment for the amount I owe and wait for refund? I have not filed an amended return before so I don't know what to do.  Please let me know.

 

Thanks,

    7 replies

    JohnB5677
    Alumni - Intuit
    April 4, 2021

    What you printed is exactly what you need, but the two 1040's mean different things.

    • The 1040-X reflects the result of all of the changes you have made from your original return.  This will show the additional amount you owe, or have coming back for a refund.
    • The 1040-SR that was printed will be different from your original 1040 that was filed.  This form shows a complete 1040 that includes all of the changes that you made to the original.

    Lets look at an example.

    1. Your original 1040-SR tax return showed that you owed -$765.
    2. You prepared a 1040-X and it shows a refund of +$220.
    3. The revised 1040-SR will show an amount due of -$545.
    4. -765 + 220 = -545
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
    tessie121Author
    Level 2
    April 4, 2021

    Thank you for your reply  and Happy Easter Sunday (and you are working).  I appreciate your response.  Here's my dilemma from your example. My tax due in my original 1040 SR is  $3090 ( I paid  $3176, penalty is $86) 1040X shows amount to be refunded is $3,674.  My revised 1040SR shows tax amount owe is $2873 ($2796 plus penalty $77) So, per your example, I should get a refund of $584.  I don't see that amount from my revised 1040SR.  

    Alumni - Intuit
    April 5, 2021

    TurboTax does not know what amount you paid with your original return. You need to manually enter the amount that you paid ($3,176) so TurboTax could calculate the refund amount.

    Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return or 2 years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment.

    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"