Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099R

Hi,

I worked with some employer A only for few days and left the company in 2013. I moved the address and no emails are forwarded to my new address. Today i found from my current retirement services that there is some cheque waiting for me and they were unable to send it to my old address and requested to update my addresss over the phone . I did it and they mentioned cheque will be mailed to me within 10 days. I asked 401k should be moved to new account once employee leaves or will it be sent as a cheque? they mentioned because of some limit on the account they cannot continue the account and they already withheld the IRS amount and paid IRS  and tried to send me 1099R(to my old address iam unaware of). 

Without this knowledge i was continuously filing tax returns every year until date. Today, It came as a surprise to me.

My question is since i didnt file 1099R from 2014 for that transaction will there be any issue? should i reach out to IRS and explain or just deposit it the cheque ? Please help me what can i do in this case.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1099R

You should amend the 2014 return if you got a 2014 form 1099-R  to see if you owe anything in taxes (although I doubt you will  if they withheld taxes in box 4) and file the amendment if you do owe.   If you would have gotten a refund instead don't bother filing the return as the deadline to get the refund has long passed  which is probably  why the IRS has never sent you a CP2000 notice and a bill for the taxes owed.    

1099R

can i  amend 2014 tax return now in 2023?  If so should i call IRS and mention this ?

Also, is there a website to see if i owe anything to IRS or anything waiting for my response? If it shows nothing, i can ignore.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

1099R

You can amend your 2014 tax return now if the amendment shows that you owe money. You cannot amend the return until you get the 1099-R.

It sounds like the amount that was in the 401(k) is fairly small. If the amended return shows that you owe only a minimal amount of tax, it's not necessary to file the amendment.

There is no reason to call the IRS. You should not call.

You can see if you owe any money to the IRS in Your Online Account on the IRS web site.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies