In order to enter this as not self-employment, follow the instructions below:
To enter other income that is non-cash:
- Go to Income
- Scroll down to Other Common Income
- Click Start next to 1099-MISC
- Add a 1099-MISC, enter payer and Box 3 income, then Continue
- Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC and select What if I got my 1099-MISC for something other than a job? Continue
- Does one of these uncommon situations apply? Select none of these apply at the bottom of list, then Continue
- And check box for No, it doesn't involved work like Jack's main job
This will not be entered as self-employment then.
In addition to the instructions provided above by pattif12, be sure to indicate that you only received the payment in 2020 (even if it was received in other years and you expect to receive it again). Also, indicate that the payment did not involve an intent to earn money.
This should place the income on Line 8 of Schedule 1 without requiring a Schedule C.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Thanks for the reply. I tried that, plus multiple other ways, and it still generated a Schedule C. I ended up deleting the file and started completely over four times. The final successful time, I entered it under "Less Common Income - Miscellaneous Income" as someone recommended in another thread on this topic.