Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blingdiva

1099-G Unemployment 2020

I filed my 2020 taxes in February of 2021. I complete forgot until I claimed unemployment this year that I had received some unemployment pay in 2020. I went on the Florida unemployment site and printed my 2020 1099-G. I had my account set to paperless so I guess they didn't mail my 1099-G but I don't recall getting a notice about it either. Anyway, I had taxes taken out of my unemployment before it was paid in 2020 but that also was the year, due to the pandemic, that the tax amount for unemployment would be refunded if already paid. Can I do an amended return on Form 1040X to get back the taxes I paid on unemployment in 2020? The IRS website says that 2020 taxes can be amended electronically but I did my taxes through Credit Karma Tax which is TurboTax now. I tried filling out the 1040X and was really confused. Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

1099-G Unemployment 2020

Yes, you can amend your 2020 tax return to claim a refund of the taxes withheld from your unemployment benefits; however, you may not need to.  

For those 2020 tax returns the IRS made corrections concerning unemployment benefits received in 2020.  The IRS received the 1099G from your state and most likely made the changes to your tax return and refund amounts.  

Go back and compare the refund, if any, you actually received to what was filed on your 2020 tax return.  The extra refund may even have come at a later time in the year. 

You can also use this link to get an online transcript of your return for 2020 to see what changes, if any, the IRS made.  

If there does not appear to have been any changes to your originally filed return, then you can amend your 2020 to include the missing 1099G.  You will need to enter your form 1099G showing benefit payment and the withholding amount.  

The 1099G benefit amount up to 10,200 will be excluded from taxable income but the withholding amount will show as taxes paid and become refundable.

Here is a link to help you with the amend process in TurboTax.  Be sure you have a copy of your originally filed return before starting the amend process.  You will need information from that to complete the amendment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies