Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JDMILLER81
Returning Member

1095-a

I did NOT have marketplace insurance at all in 2021. I was covered by MediCAL for the first half of the year, and then on my employer's insurance for the rest of the year. I selected NO when I was asked about 1095-A. After I filed, and my return was accepted, several weeks later I received notice from IRS saying that their records indicate I had Marketplace coverage and I need to file a 1095-A. I do not have this paperwork. I only have 1095-B and 1095-C. Why does IRS think I have a 1095-a?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

1095-a

No one can speak for the IRS. You will have to contact them to find out why. You can return the notice or try them by phone.

1095-a

MediCal  IS an  ACA insurance plan ... contact them to get the 1095-A form you need :  www.healthcare.gov

JDMILLER81
Returning Member

1095-a

You are incorrect. MediCAL is the state's version of MediCAID; it is NOT purchased through the marketplace, rather it is given freely to those who are jobless/have no income. Seeing as how I was on Unemployment after being laid off during the pandemic, I qualified for the free state Healthcare insurance, i.e., MediCAL/MediCAID. It is a 1095-B form that you get with this type of coverage, NOT a 1095-a 

1095-a

Contact the ACA anyway ... somehow the IRS thinks you should have a 1095-A.  Let them check to see if you were on the ACA program for any time at all  during 2021.   If they say you were not then you can address the issue with the IRS by sending in a statement with the mailed in return.   If the IRS rejected the efile for the missing form then your only option is to mail it in. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies