Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1040-x amendment/change direct deposit when I filed by mail before e-file was amended to allow unemployment income 2020?

For clarification, I e-filed on TurboTax in 2018 and 2019. The 2020 mailed return has already been processed and accepted, and I got a partial refund (but not the entire refund). I wanted to e-file the amended return because I need to update my direct deposit forms (though I’m sure it doesn’t work that way). My previous direct deposit account was closed because I switched banks, and that was not an option with the forms I completed by mail, and if there is I would love to know what form I should fill out by mail. I appreciate anyone’s help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1040-x amendment/change direct deposit when I filed by mail before e-file was amended to allow unemployment income 2020?

you can not e-file an amended return if the original was mailed in.  also there is no need to amend for the UC. the IRS said it will handle these refunds automatically though it might take all summer.  you can not update your direct deposit info with an amended return. the IRS will first try to send any refund based on the DD info on the original return. if that a/c is closed the funds will be returned to the IRS and they will issue you a paper check to the address on the return. it probably won't arrive for 3 months or more.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

you can not e-file an amended return if the original was mailed in.  also there is no need to amend for the UC. the IRS said it will handle these refunds automatically though it might take all summer.  you can not update your direct deposit info with an amended return. the IRS will first try to send any refund based on the DD info on the original return. if that a/c is closed the funds will be returned to the IRS and they will issue you a paper check to the address on the return. it probably won't arrive for 3 months or more.

Thank you. I was just hoping there was some way to avoid waiting months for the amended amount by mail, when I already had to wait for the first check to be mailed. I was used to direct deposit every other year I’ve filed. I’ll just have to wait for next tax season to come around.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies