Follow the steps below to access and amend your return.
You'll first need to select and pay for PLUS benefits, an option with the Free Edition of TurboTax Online.
Don't worry, if this year's taxes turn out to be more complicated, you can change to a higher version of TurboTax later.
- Select File for $0 (under Free Edition), then select Continue.
- Keep going through the screens, entering all of your information, until you get to the Great job so far... screen where you'll be given the option to Get PLUS.
- After selecting PLUS, go to File in the left-hand menu (don't worry, this doesn't mean you'll be filing your return right now).
- At the Just a few steps left... screen, select Start next to Step 1. (You may have to select Continue before getting here.)
- On the next screen, select View payment options and follow the instructions to pay for PLUS.
- (Read entire step before proceeding) After you've paid, select Tax Home in the left-hand menu. Then select Show next to Your tax returns & documents, and choose the year you're looking for. Then select Amend (change) return.
If you get caught in a loop when selecting File, it may be because you forgot to enter a key piece of information, like your Social Security number. To check for this, select My Info on the left and look for any areas that have Needs info listed.