turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DC714

How to amend 2017 return to claim loss from barn fire?

It just occurred to me while filing 2018 taxes that I didn't include in my 2017 return the loss of my barn due to a fire that year.  Since my little farm is just a hobby and not a business, it didn't enter into my return at all.  But it appears to me now that perhaps it could have.  The insurance adjuster assessed reconstruction costs for the barn at over $65K.  I received only $40K from insurance.  Is this a loss that could have benefited my 2017 return?  Can I revise that return now to do so?  How would I go about doing so?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

How to amend 2017 return to claim loss from barn fire?

Yes, you can amend and deduct the casualty losses on your 2017 tax return. Since such casualty loss is part of your itemized deductions, depending on your situation, it may or may not make a difference. 

So please amend your tax return and see. If it does affect your refund/tax due, mail it in. If it doesn't, then there's no need to amend. 

Note: Once you start the amendment process, please follow the steps below:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions & Credits
  3. Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits
  4. Select Casualties and Thefts 

This IRS topic explains details of casualty losses applicable to the 2017 tax year. (just FYI - it's no longer allowed for 2018 unless the loss is due to a natural disaster and you live in a federally declared disaster area) 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies