Member

401k, solo 401k, SEP ira limits for Sole Proprietor LLC with W-2 compensation also

I worked as a W-2 employee and contributed to a 401k.  I have a sole proprietor LLC that is profitable, say $100,000.  I have a solo 401k and a SEP IRA set up for the LLC.

I contributed $18,000 to the 401k as a W-2 employee.  I am over 50 years old.  I contributed $20,000 to the SEP IRA as an LLC employer.

What is maximum additional that I can contribute as an employee and as the employer to the the Solo 401k?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tax Expert

As an employee -   the maximum deferral contribution to your Solo 401(k) is $24,500 (18,500 plus another $6000 since you are of age 50 and older).  That amount does include your 401)k) contribution to your other W-2 job.  The above maximum contribution, per the IRS ,refers to your combined 401(k) accounts. More details here

As an employer -  the contributions are limited to the 25% of your LLC's income subject to self-employment tax, with the maximum amount of $55,000. 

When you enter your contributions in TurboTax, the software gives you the option to maximize your contributions - it basically calculates how much more you can contribute by the due date of the return (and to which plan). 

1 Comment
Tax Expert

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.