Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098 mortgate interest statement

I am a new homeowner and di not know I was going to receive this so I already filed my taxes. Do I need to amend my return and input this form or does it not matter?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You are not required to amend to add the mortgage interest but it may benefit you to do so.

Each year, taxpayers lower their taxable income by a standard deduction or an itemized deduction. The federal standard deduction is a fixed dollar amount based on your filing status and age. The itemized deduction are personal deductions, such as mortgage interest, real estate tax, medical, charitable expense, etc. The IRS lets you choose either one, whichever benefits your most.

For example, a 2018 standard deduction for a Single individual, born after 1954, is $12,000, for married individuals is $24,000.

If your mortgage interest (along with other itemized deductions) exceed the fixed standard deduction, you may want to amend.

When the amend feature is available in TurboTax, enter the interest and other itemized deductions and the program will determine if the federal and state tax has been affected. If it has, it will be to your benefit and you amend your tax return. Otherwise, you simply delete the amendment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You are not required to amend to add the mortgage interest but it may benefit you to do so.

Each year, taxpayers lower their taxable income by a standard deduction or an itemized deduction. The federal standard deduction is a fixed dollar amount based on your filing status and age. The itemized deduction are personal deductions, such as mortgage interest, real estate tax, medical, charitable expense, etc. The IRS lets you choose either one, whichever benefits your most.

For example, a 2018 standard deduction for a Single individual, born after 1954, is $12,000, for married individuals is $24,000.

If your mortgage interest (along with other itemized deductions) exceed the fixed standard deduction, you may want to amend.

When the amend feature is available in TurboTax, enter the interest and other itemized deductions and the program will determine if the federal and state tax has been affected. If it has, it will be to your benefit and you amend your tax return. Otherwise, you simply delete the amendment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies