Visitor II

Filing status

In the case of a newly married couple, if one party has tax liens prior to the marriage, how should they file? Either "married filing jointly" or "married filing separately?"
1 Comment
TurboTax Specialist

Filing status

If one of your wish to have your share of any tax refund protected from the offsets of the other, you can file a injured spouse form. Married filing separate is an option but comes with many disadvantages.


How do I file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation?


Is it better for a married couple to file jointly or separately?