Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended 2016 return filed originally by H&R Block

My 2016 tax return was filed through H&R Block (first, time I used them - BIG MISTAKE).  They completed screwed up a number of things, most particularly the methodology of a number of depreciated items from prior years, plus some other things.  I want to be able to download a PDF copy of that return into the TurboTax 2016 desktop for Mac that I purchased so that I can then file an amended return.  Is there any way to pull in the 2016 file into the 2016 TT version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Maybe.

You can transfer the 2016 pdf file to TurboTaxOnline, then save that tax file to your computer. Then open the tax file in the 2016 software to amend. Worth a try.

Can I transfer from a PDF to TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gsu13
Returning Member

Could you walk me through this or provide more specific info?  I have always used Turbotax desktop/cd but then last year asked H&R Block to review and they said there were some mistakes. So H&R prepared amended returns fro 2019, 2018, and 2017.  But I would still like to use TT desktop/cd for 2020. 

So would I just take the H&R Block 2019 1040-X amended PDF, put that into TurbotaxOnline, then save that tax file to my computer.? Then open that tax file in my 2019 software?  Keep in mind, I already have a 2019 file from when I used Turbotax desktop/cd last year.

Would I need to do that for 2018 and 2017 as well or could ignore as I really am just trying to get all info (including amended) into a form that can transfer into Turbotax desktop/cd for 2020.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

You won't be able to enter a 1040X into the 2019 TurboTax online as it no longer open. Please see this TurboTax FAQ on how to transfer a 2019 1040 into a desktop version of TurboTax: Can I transfer last year's PDF into the 2020 TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software?

@gsu13

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If you have your 2019 tax return and the TurboTax 2019 program installed on your computer, you could create the amended return in the 2019 software in order to match the changes that were made by HRBlock.  Or, instead of creating the amended return, just make the same changes or corrections and save the tax data file for 2019.

Then, use that corrected 2019 tax data file as the starting point for your 2020 tax return.  If you use the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax for 2020, you can choose which tax file to import into the 2020 program to get started.

You should not need to do anything to account for the 2017 and 2018 amended returns.  If there was anything changed that carried forward, those changes will be accounted for on the 2019 amended return.

@gsu13

you need the H&R block 2019 tax file to import into Turbotax 2020.

Using a PDF won't give you much more than your name and address.

gsu13
Returning Member

Thanks AnnetteB6

- I already decided to go the route you described and am about halfway through matching the H&R Block amendments into TT 2019 but I do appreciate your advice - it gives me a bit more confidence I'm down the right path

gsu13
Returning Member

thanks fanfare - it actually did even less than that as the PDF file kept getting an error it was too big for TT.  Thanks for your reply!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies