Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mz1234
Returning Member

What version of 2018 Turbo Tax I should use (with rental property and passive income)?

Hi, I have some rental property and generated some passive (NOT active) income in year 2018, NO other business activity other than a W-2 form from a 9-5 job.

I believe I should use either "TurboTax Home & Business" (listing price $109.99) or "TurboTax Self-Employed" (Listing price $89.99) to file my tax return. Can someone confirm this please?  Is "TurboTax Self-Employed" good enough or I must go with "TurboTax Home & Business"?

Thanks a lot.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

What version of 2018 Turbo Tax I should use (with rental property and passive income)?

As far as functionality and capability is concerned, the only difference between Home & Business and Self-Employed is the spelling.

Home & Business is the CD/Desktop version of the program that you physically install on your computer.

Self-Employed is the online version of the same program.

For rental property, you'll be fine using the Deluxe version, online or desktop. Basically the only difference for your specific needs between Deluxe and the higher versions, is that the higher versions have more "help" available within the program.

If you need to file more than one tax return, the CD/Desktop version will be significantly more economical too, not to mention much more user-friendly than the online version.

If you buy the Desktop CD/Download program then any version will work.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions.  And the Desktop program has more features and advantages over the online version.

Https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ 

For the Online versions you need Premier to enter Rental or the Self Employed version.  Not Deluxe.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies