Visitor I

w2 for business income

My wife has a consulting business and worked as Adjunct Professor to teach a class at a university last spring.  The institution sent a W-2 and not a 1099.  How do I enter the w-2 as business income instead of personal income?

2 Comments
TurboTax Specialist

w2 for business income

A W-2 must be entered under Wages and cannot be considered Self-Employment income.

If the school withheld taxes from her pay, you should enter the W-2 as it was reported to you. But if the W-2 reports only gross wages, you may wish to contact the school to be sure the W-2 wasn't an error on their part.

Catalyst V

w2 for business income

As stated by PatriciaV, the W-2 will be reported and entered only in the W-2 section of the program. Now if the "statutory employee" box is checked on that W-2, make sure you check it in the program. That will allow you to legally deduct any expenses associated with that income, on SCH C instead of SCH A.  If it's not checked, then you can't claim any expenses associated with that income on the SCH C.

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.