Why do I need to file a 1040 when I don't own a business?

I have done my research and from all I've read I don't need to file a 1040 if I don't own a business. This is the first time having an issue with using Turbo Tax. I also contacted the IRS since it says it's because of them that I have to file a 1040 and they said I don't have to. Now with this said I should be able to do my taxes here on Turbo Tax. Can anyone answer my question on why this keeps coming up?

1 Comment

This year, with the new Tax Reform legislation, the tax forms have been revised and the only form that is used is the revised Form 1040.  There is no longer a Form 1040EZ nor a Form 1040A.  If you have a business (and you say you don't) you would also file a Schedule C for that business. 

That said, if you earn income in which you receive a Form 1099-MISC, with an amount in Box 7 Nonemployee Compensation, you are considered to be self-employed (owning a business) and must also file Schedule C.  If you don't have a Form 1099-MISC, then you will not see Schedule C on your tax return, but will still file a Form 1040.