Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Resident Alien

Im on J1 Research Scholar I am considered a Resident Alien, I would like to be oriented on what to do, I was told that I have to do as any other citizen but I have no income, I work as a volunteer on research. I am fully supported by my parents. I also was told that otherwise fill out form 8843. I'd like to know what to do and what is form 8843.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Resident Alien

You do not have to file any tax forms if you are J1 Research Scholar, qualify as a resident alien and have no income.

In general, an alien in J-1 status (hereafter referred to as a “J-1 alien”) will be treated as a U.S. resident for federal income tax purposes if he or she meets the Substantial Presence Test. You meet this test if you were physically present in the U.S. on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

Form 8843 is used by nonresident aliens. You do not have to file this form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies