Member I

1099-R PROBLEMS

Why would the pension info I enter from my 1099-R into Turbotax 1099-R screen not show up on my 1040 form line16. Help I'm desperate have a decade long error on my hand!!!

9 Comments
Member III

1099-R PROBLEMS

It depends entirely on what you entered and how you answered all the followup questions.  Does line 16b show a zero or is it blank?  Does 16a show anything?  Is the amount included on another line, like line 7 or line 15? 

Member I

1099-R PROBLEMS

What follow up questions are you talking about? 

I am not the only one with this problem - CR. Visiter 1 described my problem perfectly. The only difference is my problem has  occurred over 10 years!

@Stinkerbellkity wrote:

s

Member I

1099-R PROBLEMS

Member III

1099-R PROBLEMS

After you enter a 1099-R, you are asked a series of questions, that are used to determine the taxability of the distribution.  Can you answer the questions asked about what shows on your return and double check that the amount is not included in line 7 or elsewhere?  Also check your return for the existence of a Simplified method worksheet, which you can see if you print all worksheets as well as forms.  The IRS receives copies of your 1099-Rs and usually ends you a notice within 2 years if what you show on your return appears incorrect based on your 1099-R.

Member I

1099-R PROBLEMS

I just found the problem - it appears that the  1099R amount is combined with line 7 wages. Thank god. Why did it end up there rather than line 16 pensions and robbed me of sleep the past week????

Member III

1099-R PROBLEMS

What was the code in Box 7 of your 1099-R?

Member I

1099-R PROBLEMS

3

Hey I want to thank you very much, I really appreciate the help.

Member III

1099-R PROBLEMS

When the code is 3, that means you took a disability pension.  Every year, when you enter the 1099-R, you are asked if you are below minimum retirement age for the plan.  If you say Yes, the income appear on line 7, which is correct, because the amount is considered earned income. 

When you reach minimum retirement age for the plan, it begins to appear as pension income on line 16.

Member I

1099-R PROBLEMS

Makes sense (I think). Thank you again!