turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I amend my tax return once I receive a correct 1099-R form?

I am filing my tax return without the 1099-R form included. I am not sure how to include this information, as the system kept asking me questions about the distribution code. I moved a few times last year, so when I finally got all of my forwarding mail, I received 4 1099-R forms. I asked my old employer, to verify this and how many 1099-R forms was I suppose to receive. I did withdraw the funds from both my Roth and IRA so I was expecting to receive the forms. My old employer said I was suppose to receive a total of 2. Now two of  the forms have the same amount ($3877) in box 1, but the first form has a taxable amount ($3877) in box 2a with Distribution code 1. The second for has a zero amount in box 2a with a Distribution code G. The third form has the amount of ($3985) in box 1 and in 2a ($255) with a Distribution code B. I tried entering the third 1099-R form and soon as I clicked on submit, the system said there was an error in box 2a and that there shouldn't be an amount over '0'. AlSo I am thinking since I don't have alot of time, that  I should go ahead an file and when I get my retirement forms clarified, than I amend through a tax preparer. Sorry for the message. If anyone reads this before the tax deadline and can advise me what to do, that would be helpful. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Should I amend my tax return once I receive a correct 1099-R form?

Follow up with the employer in regards to which two 1099-R forms are the correct forms and enter only those two forms. If you can't resolve that issue, then go ahead and file now and amend later.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies