When amending my 2016 returns, how do I report the EARNINGS of an excess Roth IRA contribution?

I'm a 25 year-old who has a Roth IRA with Fidelity.

In 2016 my grandmother gave me a gift of money that I used to contribute $5,500 to my Roth IRA. However, my earned income for 2016 ended up only being about $2,100.

I worked with Fidelity to have my excess contribution of  $3,400 returned.

Fidelity officially calculated that my excess contributions had earnings of $1,413. I was told that I will have to pay a 10% penalty on these earnings.

I am trying to amend my tax returns before October 16, 2017 to avoid a 6% penalty on everything (principle & interest) until I fix it.

In TurboTax Deluxe online, when I go to amend my 2016 returns, I go to Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits > Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions. I input my original contribution of $5,500 and was told I contribution too much. Then I input my $3,400 return of excess. It brought me to a summary page showing my corrected net contribution for 2016: $2,100.

Everything sounds great... except one problem: I was never asked about the earnings on my excess contribution.

If I'm supposed to pay a 10% penalty on my $1,413 of earnings, where and how to I do this? Please help! Time is running out :(

Thank you!

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default