TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

My spouse does not have a social security number.

I got married in November of 2010, and have been living with my spouse in Spain ever since.  Turbotax will not let me proceed without adding a social security number for my husband, but he does not have one, nor does he legally need one since he has never lived in the US.  How do I proceed with filing my taxes?
  • my problem is  i dont have spouse's SS # cause we've been separted since June 2014. not sure if considered legally separated though.
  • If you have to file married filing separately without a spouse's SSN you will need to print the return and file by mail.  Include an explanation as to why you don't have it.
Yes, just leave the SSN blank.  If you do, however, you will need to file on paper instead of e-filing your return, as it will reject if e-filed without an SSN.
  • Can this issue of no SSN be corrected for online submissions? I am an American married to an Englishman. For the last 6 years I've filled out my return online but have to print and send it because he has no SSN. Why does the online form not allow for 'NRA' as an answer? It would solve headaches for many of us.
  • The IRS does not allow efiling with a missing SSN/ITIN, it's not a Turbotax issue. You could apply for an ITIN this year and would be able to efile the following years.
  • would you need anything else to go with the file if you send it like that?
  • Your posting on the bottom of a thread - send it like what?
  • Do you need any additional documentation if you file on paper and leave the SSN field blank? Do you need to specify somewhere that the person is a NRA?
  • You could always include an explanatory note with the return to avoid correspondence from the IRS.
if your husband is a non-resident alien with no US source income you can also take a personal exemption for him  on your return even if you file married filing separately.
  • that means when she claims exemption she can claim one for herself and one for himself.Right? (if it is 3900 excemption, then it would be 7800)
If you want to file a joint return and he doesn't have a social security number, he will need to apply for and receive a taxpayer identifying number.

You can file married filing jointly or married filing separately.   If the latter and your spouse has no US source income, he/she would not be required to file.

The following is from the IRS regarding married filing jointly:

If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen or a resident alien and the other is a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat the nonresident as a U.S. resident. This includes situations in which one of you is a nonresident alien at the beginning of the tax year, but a resident alien at the end of the year, and the other is a nonresident alien at the end of the year.

If you make this choice, the following two rules apply:

--- You and your spouse are treated, for income tax purposes, as residents for all tax years that the choice is in effect
--- You must file a joint income tax return for the year you make the choice

If you make this choice, you and your spouse are treated as residents for your entire tax year for the purpose of your federal individual income tax return, and for the purpose of withholding U.S. federal income tax from your wages.

Generally, neither you nor your spouse can claim tax treaty benefits as a resident of a foreign country for a tax year for which the choice is in effect and you are both taxed on worldwide income. However, the exception to the saving clause of a particular tax treaty might allow a resident alien to claim a tax treaty benefit on certain specified income. You must file a joint income tax return for the year you make the choice, but you and your spouse can file joint or separate returns in later years.
Making the Election

You make the choice by attaching a statement, signed by both spouses, to your joint return for the first tax year for which the choice applies. It should contain the following:

--- A declaration that one spouse was a nonresident alien and the other spouse a U.S. citizen or resident alien on the last day of your tax year, and that you choose to be treated as US residents for the entire tax year, and
--- The name, address, and social security number (or individual taxpayer identification number) of each spouse. (If one spouse died, include the name and address of the person making the choice for the deceased spouse.)

If your spouse is a nonresident alien and you file a joint, your spouse must have either a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). To get an SSN for your spouse, apply at a social security office or US consulate. You must complete Form SS-5. You must also provide original or certified copies of documents to verify your spouse's age, identity, and citizenship. If your spouse is not eligible to get an SSN, he or she can file Form W-7 with the IRS to apply for an ITIN. Refer to Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN) for more information.
  • My spouse does not make US income, so there is no need for him to file.  However, in TurboTax, it seems to require my spouse's name and his SSN.  If I'm filing "Married filing separately", can I just leave the SSN field blank?

    Thanks for the quick response!
Contribute an answer

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Similar questions other people found helpful: