Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Your Federal Return Is Not Eligible for Electronic Filing

The tax withheld of $xx,xxx as shown on Form 1040 is greater than or equal to $xx,xxx, the sum of income from the following sources:

This information was entered electronically from my W2.. I'm not sure what the problem is that is preventing me from electronically filing this year...

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

The error is telling you that all of your tax withholding is equal are greater than your income.  Compare the entries from your hard copy W-2 with what you imported to ensure that your W-2 imported correctly. Did you have other income and withholding from other sources?  If so, double-check those entries.  Did you enter estimated tax payments?  If so, check those entries for accuracy.

If all of your withholding is more than your income, then you won't be able to e-file your tax return, you will have to print and mail it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have to admit that I am still a bit confused.

Isn't it common to have withholdings exceed income and that's how you qualify for a refund?

Could it be the size/amount of the refund that is tripping this?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

No, take a moment and consider.  Is it practice to pay more in taxes than the amount the you actually earned?

Did you pay estimated taxes for some reason?  If you did, please double check the amount that you posted.

@SharonD007 has the right idea. 

Take your W-2's, and any other documents that have taxes withheld, and compare both the income and taxes withheld on all of your documents to what you posted.  

It sounds like you may have mis posted an entry.

Please contact us again with any questions, and provide some additional details.

gor-marks

But what does any of this have to do with filing electronically vs traditionally?

I have the same issue, my W-2 box 1 is less than a dollar for some reason (I imagine it's related to me quitting in the middle of the year) and my box 2 is 4 digits.

By the way, I do have 5 digits of income in boxes 3 & 5 if that matters, but I gave that information to turbo tax.

Why does this fact of my box 1 & 2 mean I have to file traditionally? So far, it sounds like it just does.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can't e-file a document that has more withholding than income.   There is a problem with your w-2; you should ask your employer for a corrected copy.   Even if you quit during the middle of the year, your wages in box 1 should be more than the amount of the tax withheld, certainly more than a dollar.  @gor-marks 

gor-marks

I just edited my post above to mention that I do have 5 digits income in boxes 3 & 5, I don't have any idea why my box 1 is so low.
I am a non-resident of the US now, so maybe that's also related.

I guess I'll have to figure out who I can reach out to to correct the w-2...

"You can't e-file a document that has more withholding than income."
Again though, this doesn't really answer the question of why that fact relates to e-filing vs traditional.

I hear you in saying that it just IS the case, but I don't understand why.

gor-marks

Rather than telling me to file traditionally, shouldn't turbotax tell me that the W-2 needs to be corrected?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies