Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
22hocks

You show me needing to pay estimated tax for next year. I have increased my withholding for next year. Am I required to pay estimated or is it optional?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

You show me needing to pay estimated tax for next year. I have increased my withholding for next year. Am I required to pay estimated or is it optional?

The Forms 1040-ES are printed for your convenience.  No data on them is sent to the IRS.  If you don't think you need them, just throw them away.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

The Forms 1040-ES are printed for your convenience.  No data on them is sent to the IRS.  If you don't think you need them, just throw them away.

MichaelL1
Level 15

If you have increased the withholding enough to offset what the estimated payments would have been you are fine.

TurboTax was doing the estimates so next year, you would not get caught with an estimated tax payment penalty.  Paying in additional taxes through an employer can eliminate this. 

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.63m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v