turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rosestlc

Do I have to depreciate a vehicle that was used for business and personal use that was totaled with no salvage value and maybe worth $1000 prior to accident?

I have never depreciated my car in the past. It was totaled in 2018 and was a 1999 Camry. Originally I bought it in 2012 for total sales price of $8500 less trade-in of $3500 = $5000.

Can't I just track my business miles on both cars that were used in 2018 and call it a day without dealing with gains and losses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Do I have to depreciate a vehicle that was used for business and personal use that was totaled with no salvage value and maybe worth $1000 prior to accident?

No, you don't have to depreciate the vehicle as long as you did not choose actual expenses (fuel, insurance, repairs, etc.) in the first year the vehicle was placed in service.  You may choose to claim the standard mileage rate for any subsequent vehicle, in the first year you use the vehicle for business. In later years you can choose to use the standard mileage rate or switch to actual expenses.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

No, you don't have to depreciate the vehicle as long as you did not choose actual expenses (fuel, insurance, repairs, etc.) in the first year the vehicle was placed in service.  You may choose to claim the standard mileage rate for any subsequent vehicle, in the first year you use the vehicle for business. In later years you can choose to use the standard mileage rate or switch to actual expenses.

rosestlc

Thank you Julie. So I can basically ignore all the depreciation prompts that followed how much I received for my totaled car? And then simply add my new vehicle and continue using standard mileage as I always have been doing?
JulieR
Expert Alumni

yes
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies