Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jazzyjt08

Hello, my wife received on her 1099 G - Unemployment and Disability in Table A and then, Paid Family Leave in Table B, do I need to combine these totals and report?

Hello, my wife received on her 1099 G - Unemployment amount and Disability amount in Table A and then, Paid Family Leave in Table B, do I need to combine these totals and report?

I thought disability was exempt. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MichaelDC

Hello, my wife received on her 1099 G - Unemployment and Disability in Table A and then, Paid Family Leave in Table B, do I need to combine these totals and report?

Is this California? What are the boxes used on your 1099-G?
jazzyjt08

Sorry this is CA. What do you mean by the boxes? Table A Contains - UI and DI, Table B - Contains PFL. I'm at work but can verify when I get home.

You will add those 2 amounts together for the total of unemployment to be included on the return.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MichaelDC

Yes, you will combine California EDD benefits as income on your tax return. 

Paid Family Leave benefits in California are paid by (or are channeled through) the California Employment Development Department.  Any formal PFL benefits you received (such as being out on Maternity Leave) are considered taxable income by the IRS, because they consider PFL a type of unemployment compensation.  However, for California state tax purposes, the PFL income is entirely exempt.

mihhwang

Will turbo tax be able to differentiate unemployment and PFL? On the webpage, it does not seem to differentiate it.

Thanks

If you received unemployment and PFL from the State of CA on a 1099g , both are taxable on the federal and non taxable to CA....there is nothing to differentiate.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies