Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

will7

I invested in crypto currency this past year. I purchased various cryptocurrencies with other cryptocurrencies and never transferred into USD. Is that taxed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I invested in crypto currency this past year. I purchased various cryptocurrencies with other cryptocurrencies and never transferred into USD. Is that taxed?

Yes, unfortunately each transaction is taxed as a gain or loss based on the US$ conversion rate on the day of the transaction.

For example.

2/1/17 buy BTC for $1000.

3/1/17 trade for Etherium when the BTC is worth $3000 = $2000 profit to report as income.

4/1/17 trade etherium for lite coin when the etherium is worth $4000= $1000 profit to report as income.

5/1/17 trade lite coin for bitcoin when the lite coin is worth $3000 = $1000 deductible loss.

12/31/17 still holding the bitcoin (no tax impact, but whenever you sell or trade it, your basis is $3000).

This is reported in Turbotax Premier or higher under Income from sale of stocks and other investments.

Stock brokers are required to issue form 1099-B summarizing these trades.  Cryptocurrency exchanges are not required to report on a 1099-B but some of them are starting to offer this information.  If not, you need your own good records.

sifeij

So, the total income is after all transactions adds up for taxable amount, correct?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies