Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dcint17

My tax return is making me upgrade because I have schedule 4 other taxes & I don’t know what that means

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My tax return is making me upgrade because I have schedule 4 other taxes & I don’t know what that means

For 2018 the IRS has simplified Form 1040 by moving many of the entries that used to be on Form 1040 to a set of six separate schedules. There are no short forms 1040A or 1040EZ for 2018. All 2018 tax returns will be filed on Form 1040. TurboTax Free Edition for 2018 will only prepare simple tax returns that can be completed with only Form 1040 itself. Anything that requires one of the six new schedules requires an upgrade.

Schedule 4 contains all the entries that, in previous years, were in the Other Taxes section of Form 1040. These include the following. If you owe any of these taxes, you have to upgrade.

• Self-employment tax
  • Social Security and Medicare tax on unreported tips
  • Additional tax (i.e. penalty) for early distributions from an IRA or 401(k), failure to take an RMD, or excess contributions to an IRA, ESA, MSA, HSA, or ABLE account
  • Household employee taxes ("nanny tax")
  • Repayment of the first-time homebuyer credit
  • Individual responsibility payment (i.e. penalty) for not having health insurance coverage
  • Additional Medicare tax
  • Net Investment Income Tax

View solution in original post

6 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

For 2018 the IRS has simplified Form 1040 by moving many of the entries that used to be on Form 1040 to a set of six separate schedules. There are no short forms 1040A or 1040EZ for 2018. All 2018 tax returns will be filed on Form 1040. TurboTax Free Edition for 2018 will only prepare simple tax returns that can be completed with only Form 1040 itself. Anything that requires one of the six new schedules requires an upgrade.

Schedule 4 contains all the entries that, in previous years, were in the Other Taxes section of Form 1040. These include the following. If you owe any of these taxes, you have to upgrade.

• Self-employment tax
  • Social Security and Medicare tax on unreported tips
  • Additional tax (i.e. penalty) for early distributions from an IRA or 401(k), failure to take an RMD, or excess contributions to an IRA, ESA, MSA, HSA, or ABLE account
  • Household employee taxes ("nanny tax")
  • Repayment of the first-time homebuyer credit
  • Individual responsibility payment (i.e. penalty) for not having health insurance coverage
  • Additional Medicare tax
  • Net Investment Income Tax

Use a different tax service. I filed for free & Schedule 4 was included.

Absurd that I find this out after entering in everything. Even though I have the exact same income sources as last year I am now being asked to shell out $60.

I was pleased with Turbo taxes changes up until the very end, where i find out not only am i getting screwed on the health insurance penalty, but turbo tax is going to screw me even more because of it?  Wtf...  I've found that this is because some sub groups of the 1040 have been removed, requiring some alternate route but... wtf.  They're like "don't worry, you can just take the extra 50 bux out of your refund!"  except... i'm not getting any refund.  I'm just paying like.. 730 dollars and then another 50 something to you [removed].   God.

I've been trying to deal with this garbage for a month now and I've gotten nowhere. "You're below the poverty line and you couldn't get insurance? Well congrats, that's no longer part of free filing because someone screwed up the tax laws, so now you get to pay us $60 of you want to pay that fee!"
saisei84

Yes this is truly ridiculous. To have to pay an extra $60 to file not even half a page of a form! I'm sure it really costs turbo tax so much to process that half page form. I have always trusted turbo tax for years, but if it continues like this, then I will have to look elsewhere. Very disappointed!!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies