Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

556koy
Returning Member

Woking from home, but I'm not sure what to use for my employer's state

I was working in an office in NY and now I started working remotely from out of state (FL). The office is a branch for a corporation headquartered in Georgia.

I keep remotely working as assistant for our branch in NY, should I keep paying NY taxes or should I abide by GA tax laws since our hq is based there? 

Edit: Just in case, my checks have always had the GA address on the employer line

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You should contact your employer for the relevant information that will appear on your W-2.

556koy
Returning Member

@tagteam @As well as my checks, the W-2 has the Georgia address. What additional question should I ask my employer

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You do not pay Georgia tax. It doesn't matter where the employer's headquarters is, what the employer's address is on your paycheck, or what the employer's address is on your W-2. What matters is where you work, where you live, and what's in boxes 15, 16, and 17 on your W-2.

Florida does not have any personal income tax, so you will not pay Florida tax under any circumstances.

New York State probably considers you to still be working in the New York office where you used to work and now telecommute to, so they will expect you to continue paying New York tax. If your employer is continuing to withhold New York tax from your pay, that suggests that they agree with this assumption. But talk to someone in the payroll department to clarify the situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies