Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will we be able to e-file if my wife's California Driver's License is expired?

We are married filing jointly, and my wife's California Driver's License (DL) is expired. She doesn't intend to renew her DL.  At the end of E-Filing there's a question to input our DL info.  Can we just keep using her expired DL info in future years of e-filing for both Federal and California income taxes, or will it be rejected by the IRS or California State Revenue authorities?

If anyone knows for certain that E-filing *will* be rejected, are you aware of what identity documents would definitely suffice instead?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Per the State of California website: "A California driver’s license or state ID card is not required to e-file a California tax return. However, this may expedite the processing of your return and we ask for your assistance to help us combat ID theft."

Your driver's license number is not required to file your federal taxes, and this is true in most states as well. If your State issued ID or driver's license is not accepted, you can leave the driver's license/state ID information blank, and still file your return.

Click here for information on e-filing in California.

Click here for information about providing your driver's license for filing your taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

my only follow up question, and this may be found through researching the California revenue site, is what does “help expedite“ mean? I wouldn’t mind a delay, but I don’t want to go in person. Would rather keep it e-filed

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

This doesn't mean you'll need to go anywhere in person to file your return or verify your identity.

You're still able to file your California return electronically -- your e-filed return won't be rejected if this information isn't provided.  It'll simply take a while longer to receive any refund you have due, as opposed to if you included driver's license information.

See Help with filing online (e-file) for more information. 

@Heliomesugi 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies