Solved: Why was my withholding less in 2018 than 2017 when my income was higher? I did not change my W-4. Turbo tax says I owe underpayment penalty.

Why was my withholding less in 2018 than 2017 when my income was higher? I did not change my W-4. Turbo tax says I owe underpayment penalty.

The IRS lowered the withholding table amounts in 2018 due to the lower income tax brackets from the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017.  To avoid this scenario for 2019, you can adjust your withholding allowances and/or amounts utilizing TurboTax’s W-4 Withholding Calculator.

See this IRS news release from last January 2018 regarding the new withholding tables: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-withholding-tables-now-available

Just to be clear, the IRS lowered my witholding for 2018 and now wants me to pay an underpayment penalty?