TurboTax will only include form 8960 in your return if there is an entry that is triggering the Net Investment Income Tax. There are a large number of income items that could be doing this including interest, dividends, certain annuities, rental income or partnership income, or net gain from the disposition of certain properties. If you're certain that you don't need the form you may want to double check a few entries in the program to be sure there isn't an entry that is causing the program to believe that the form is required. I would recommend that you revisit the income section and look at the list of the items showing in your return.
To do this
- Sign into the TurboTax program
- Click on "Federal" in the menu bar on the left hand side of the screen
- Review the items listed under "Your Income". If you see any of the above listed income items or other types of income that aren't wages/Job (W-2) then review these areas carefully. Remove any entries that do not apply to you.
If your return is fairly simple (perhaps just your personal information and a W-2, for example) it may be simpler to clear the return and start over to clear the error. To clear and start a return over:
- Login to the TurboTax program at TurboTax.com
- In the menu on the left side of the screen click on "Tax Tools"
- Ensure that you have your original tax documents handy for re-entry!
- Click on "Clear & Start Over" in the Tax Tools menu
- Confirm that you wish to clear when prompted by clicking "yes"
Re-enter the data in your return and the form should not re-appear if it does not apply to you.
For updates on the availability of this or any other tax form, click here and then select the link that is appropriate for the version of TurboTax that you are using (online, windows, or Mac).
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"