turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

conch44
Returning Member

Why is TurboTax Business Download treating land rental income as non-passive on K-1

I am the trustee of a trust that received $532 in rental income for farmland in 2023. I'm distributing the full amount to the beneficiary (me). I completed the forms on my own, then bought TurboTax Business Download plus Illinois to check my work.

I put $532 on Schedule K-1 in box 7, Net rental real estate income. TurboTax places that amount in box 5, Other portfolio and nonbusiness income. When I click on the field to find the source it takes me back to a worksheet Dist Inc - K-1 where $532 is listed under (e) Non-passive Income instead of (f) Passive Income. On the General Information Smart Worksheet under Schedule E, I did not check the boxes for Material participation or Active participation. I also said no to the Qualified Business Income question. Why is TurboTax treating this as non-passive? Is TurboTax listing it in box 5 because I said no to QBI? 

In addition, this income is all attributable to Illinois, I asked TurboTax to generate a K-1-T and here the income is again characterized as nonpassive but now it is business income instead of nonbusiness. Also the Illinois share is 0 but I was able to edit it to attribute the full amount to Illinois. Now I owe $26 on my Illinois 1041. For my Federal return, the trust doesn't pay tax, I attach the K-1 to my 1040 and it's taxable there. Apparently Illinois is the opposite, the trust pays the tax? Now I attach the K-1-T to my Illinois individual return where TurboTax tells me I'm due a refund of $1.

I need help with the passive/non-passive and business/non-business aspects of these returns. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies