turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AJ291983

Why is my technician pay not being refunded as it should under the new Indiana State Tax law?

I am a National Guard service member and a dual status technician.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Why is my technician pay not being refunded as it should under the new Indiana State Tax law?

Make sure you've entered the right information in the federal portion of TurboTax Online: 

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the Personal Info box, then select Start or Review/Edit
  4. On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit to the right of the taxpayer who's in the National Guard
  5. Make sure that Yes bullet is selected under the I am [or My spouse is] a member or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces (active, reserve or National Guard)
  6. Make any other changes necessary on the screen, then select Continue
  7. On the What was [your or your spouse's] military status as of December 31, 2023? screen, select the bullet next to National Guard, select the appropriate response in the field that generates, then select Continue
  8. Continue through the My Info screens, answering any questions appropriately
  9. Now, select the dropdown to the right of State Taxes in the left pane
  10. Select Prepare State
  11. Select Continue to the right of Indiana
  12. On the Your 2023 Indiana taxes are ready for us to check screen, select Edit to the right of Income and deductions
  13. On the National Guard / Armed Forces Reserves screen, select Yes
  14. On the Qualified military pay for Reserves/National Guard screen, enter your (or your spouse's" National Guard pay, then select Continue

On the Here's the income that Indiana handles differently screen, you should see your National Guard and Reserve Components Deduction:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies