Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my state refund negative? This happened after I entered my 1098--T form.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

If after entering your 1098T your tax due goes up; this is usually due to taxable scholarships or getting more in Box 5 than the number in Box 1 tuition paid. Treating it as taxable, as well as room and board paid from scholarships or grants. Make sure you stuck with your expenses that are qualified for federal/state purposes.

Q5. What are qualified tuition and related expenses for the education tax credits per IRS?

A5. In general, qualified tuition and related expenses for the education tax credits include tuition and required fees for the enrollment or attendance at eligible post-secondary educational institutions (including colleges, universities and trade schools). The expenses paid during the tax year must be for an academic period that begins in the same tax year or an academic period that begins in the first three months of the following tax year.

The following expenses do not qualify for the AOTC or the LLC:

• Room and board
  • Transportation
  • Insurance
  • Medical expenses
  • Student fees, unless required as a condition of enrollment or attendance
  • Same expenses paid with tax-free educational assistance
  • Same expenses used for any other tax deduction, credit or educational benefit

Depending on the state you live in, they could treat scholarship funds (Box 5 of 1098T) received in excess of your qualified educational expenses (Box 1 plus required materials) may be taxable and might need to be reported in your taxable income. Here is a wonderful article by TurboTax regarding scholarship money and taxability. 

@auri870529 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! I looked at the form and box 5 is more than box 1. Does this mean I owe money or does this mean I have input incorrect information? I looked it over and I put in everything that was asked of me.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Check the 1098-T against your school account records. Were your expenses paid for with a scholarship or Pell Grant? If you did get a scholarship, was the scholarship MORE than your expenses so that you got a cash refund from it? 

If Box 5 is MORE than Box 1, that is what is being told to the TurboTax program- you are saying that the amount in Box 5 that is more than Box 1 was cash you received, and so that amount is treated as taxable income. 

Make sure the 1098-T is correct. 

Don't forget to add books and supplies that you bought if those are not on the 1098-T. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies