Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why don't I see the prompt in the Federal TT interview for allocating excluded U.S. Government Obligations when more than one state is involved?

I am trying to exclude 1099-DIV US Govt. income for the two states (MA and NC)  I resided in 2023. Normally it's no problem when only one state is involved since it all goes to that state, but TT is excluding ALL the amount defined in the federal return in BOTH state returns without allowing me to allocate it. I was told by a TT Expert (see below) that the federal return allows you to ALLOCATE the proper amounts for EACH state, but I don't see this prompt! I am using TT Online, is this only in the desktop version? I don't want to switch to Desktop.

There is NO prompt in the MA return to change the excluded amount transferred from the Federal return. I can exclude "other" income but CANNOT change the excluded amount flowed from federal. I need to adjust the excluded amount for each state. I  can allocate the proper 1099-DIV INCOME on the MA return but not the EXCLUDED amount.

TT Expert instructions: ( I do not see the 5th bullet's prompt which is highlighted in red, the prompts end after the 4th bullet)

You can make the state allocation in the Federal section for a 1099-DIV with Treasury interest that needs to be excluded at the state level.

Is the US Government Interest such as from a savings bond that you redeemed, e.g., a Series EE Savings Bond and it is reported as Dividends? If so:

• Enter your Form 1099-DIV exactly as the boxes appear in the 1099-DIV section.
  • Click Continue
  • At the screen "Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you", check the box next to "A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest". Click Continue.
  • The next screen states "Enter U.S. Government Interest". Enter the amount in the box provided. Click Continue.
  • The next screen asks which state(s) your exempt-interest dividends are from. You can enter the amount for each state here. Click Done.

****** I AM NOT PROMPTED FOR THE LAST BULLET *******

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies