Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1031Me
Returning Member

Why does Turbotax not transfer Foreign Tax Credit Carryover?

I had a foreign tax credit carryover last year. The only way I knew this was because I was comparing a draft print of the 2023 ALL WORKSHEETS RETURN, and comparing to the ALL WORKSHEETS print of my 2022 return. This value was not transferred over from 2022 to 2023. When searching for this issue, I read that TurboTax doesn't transfer this info. It has to be entered manually.

Why? I would not have seen this except by chance. I don't even know how many carryovers I've missed in the past...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The program is designed that way now. It used to carryover the credits. My guess would be that changes can occur, like audits, to change things. Great job verifying your tax return before filing!

Foreign tax credit can be carried back one year or carried forward up to 10 years so you want to keep track of your credits and which year is used. See Topic no. 856, Foreign tax credit.

To enter the carryover:

In TurboTax,

• After sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in foreign tax credit and Enter 
  • Select - Jump to foreign tax credit 
  • Follow prompts
  • On the screen, Foreign Tax Credit Carryovers screen, enter information  ( select Learn More for details)
  • See the image below

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
1031Me
Returning Member

Thx. I did find the area to do that. I was wondering why TT doesn't automatically carry it over. I can't find it now, but I read a post which said it always needs to be entered manually. If I do it this way, will it automatically show up for next year's tax return?

I cannot figure out which prompts are supposed to take me to the Foreign Tax Credit Carryovers screen.  I get dumped out after the "amend last year's taxes or carry forward".  Please advise.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Please review the steps given by ThomasM125 in his Turbo Tax post. 

"Choose the Foreign Taxes option under Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, in the Deductions and Credits section of TurboTax.

Work through that section and indicate that you want the foreign tax credit as opposed to the foreign tax deduction. Eventually you will come to a page where you will be asked to enter your Foreign Tax Credit Carryovers".

@FrustratedExpat 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies