Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why didn't TurboTax 2023 uninstall when asked to by the program?

I installed Turbo Tax Deluxe with a download I received by phone thru Turbo Tax support. I never received the CD I originally ordered. After installing it and successfully creating a 2023 return I re-opened Turbo Tax to amend the return and was told that I was missing files and to uninstall and reinstall the program. (Error 214)

I uninstalled the program thru the "Control Panel-Features and Programs". The problem was that only parts of the "Program Files-TurboTax" folder and the desktop icon were deleted. Not being sure if I could reinstall over top of the Program Files, I deleted and shredded the files manually. It took forever. What I don't understand is why this error happened, when the program worked fine at first and no changes to the program were made in between the original 2023 Turbo Tax file and the edit.

If this happens again, can I write over the Program files?

Note: The Turbo Tax files were located in the Program Files and not the Program Files (x86) folder where they used to load. They were labeled as 64bit rather than 32 bit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

The program is 64-bit which is probably why the installation winds up in the Program Files directory.

Otherwise, you will have to contact Support for install/uninstall issues.

How do I contact TurboTax? (intuit.com)

dmertz
Level 15

2023 TurboTax is the first year that the Windows version has been built as an x64 executable.  It seems that some user's PCs have not had the x64 version of the Microsoft Virtual C++ Redistributable package installed and the 2023 TurboTax installation (at least the original version) does not seem to install this, so it might be possible to obtain the missing files by downloading and installing the package from Microsoft:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170#visual-studio...

I appreciate your help. I followed the link and installed the up-grade and rebooted, but I still get the same messages, and can't load the software.

dmertz
Level 15

Have you successfully run TurboTax for 2022 or earlier on this PC?  If not, I wonder if some portion of 2023 TurboTax is still using the x86 version of the redistributable package and it's the x86 version that is missing.  It probably wouldn't hurt to install the x86 package from Microsoft to see if that helps. but I'm just guessing at this point.

I have been using the 32bit program on this computer for years with no problems. I was just that I couldn't find the program file until I looked in the Program Files folder and saw it listed as a 64bit program. If a 32bit program is required in addition to the 64bit program, I certainly am not going to pay for it. This is something that TurboTax has to look at and make a correction if required. There are no TurboTax files listed in the (x86) folders. The latest folder in (x86) is "Individual 2022". I called support and they told me it is in fact 64bit.

I created an additional two TurboTax returns this morning and just re-opened my 2023 return and had no problem or error messages. Hoping it stays that way. (Maybe it has to do with the data transfer from the 2022 return to the 2023 return. ??)

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎11/‎18/‎2020
OS build 19045.3693
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Thank you!!! I downloaded the Microsoft X86 package and the Turbotax loaded without a problem.

dmertz
Level 15

Thanks for the update.  It seems that there are still some components built as 32-bit.

This is the first that I am hearing about this x86 Package. What is the Microsoft x86 package and where do I find it. I would think that my W10 updates would have taken care of any additional downloads required.

dmertz
Level 15

The link is provided above.

gypsie514
Returning Member

Had the same error message. Had to install the Microsoft 86 package with the link above and worked

gypsie514,

I don't normally open links sent by others. I asked a local electronics store tech and he told me that W10 doesn't require the 2019-2022 MS Visual C++ update, but could be required to run some programs. That may or not be correct, but I am taking his word for it unless I have a problem. After re-loading Turbotax 2023, I wasn't sure about the reload because for some reason Turbotax also gave me a NYS download and I was told by Tutbotax support that NYS wouldn't work until January 11th at the earliest. I uninstalled 2023 Deluxe a 2nd time. This time it uninstalled everything but the desktop icon. That may be because I changed the icon file name. After reloading, all appears fine. Note that I did not update the 2019-2022 MS Visual C++ program. I know for one thing, I am purchasing the CD from now on. You have to wait a little longer to install, but I never had trouble with Turbotax until I purchased the download. That may have been because of me or my system?

gypsie514
Returning Member

Chas 1103,

I had purchased the CD and it still gave me error messeage for VCRuntime nad MSVP.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies