lkb4113

Why couldn't I claim child tax credit on my 17 year old daughter who lived with me the whole year and was in school?

Hal_Al

Your child is  too old (over 16). This comes as a big surprise to many parents the year their child turns 17. A child over age 16 no longer qualifies for the Child Tax credit (CTC). Although a child can still be a student dependent through age 23, and a qualifying child for EIC,  the Child Tax Credit expires the year they turn 17 and you no longer get the $1000 CTC.

Hal_Al

lkb4113

Makes absolutely no sense!  18 is suppose to be considered an adult?! What is a 17 year old called "Adoldult"!